Why You Should Always Research Dental Implants Before Getting Them
Why You Should Always Research Dental Implants in Brooklyn Before Getting Them
As we age, the likelihood that we’ll begin to lose our teeth grows exponentially. It’s because of this that many people today are turning to dental implants to replace missing teeth, and regain the look of a full, perfectly-aligned smile.
Dental implants are screw-shaped structures that replace the lost tooth, and are one of the most effective treatment options for replacing lost teeth.
What are Dental implants?
Your teeth are part of the bone structure of your face, and dental implants offer a reinforced structure that maintains your teeth as well as the shape and function of your jaw. Overtime, the bone structure of most peoples’ jaw weakens, making dental implants a necessary restorative dentistry option for many patients.
Dental implant treatments involve implanting a titanium rod into the jawbone to act as a stable foundation for an artificial tooth, bridges, crown or other prostheses. Titanium is the best choice of material for the anchor since it integrates well with the surrounding bone and tissue, with an extremely low risk of rejection.
Myths and Truths Regarding Dental Implants in Brooklyn
When it comes to implant dentistry, many people are familiar with the service itself, but aren’t able to sort out the myths surrounding implant dentistry with the truth. So, which popular beliefs regarding dental implants are true, and which are simply myth?
- Only the elderly are eligible for dental implants – FALSE This treatment can be provided to anyone over the age of 17 (this is roughly the age at which the facial bone formation process ends). However, it’s a service that’s more common among elderly patients since as we age, the weakening or loss of bone becomes more likely.
- When you lose a tooth, you need to get one implanted as soon as possible – TRUE If left totally untreated, the bone begins to weaken and may even deteriorate. This can make it impossible to directly implant, which requires a bone graft.
- The body can reject the implant – FALSE The material from which the implants are made (usually titanium), results in biological compatibility with the bone tissue. In this way, your implant is accepted by the body and there is no risk of rejection. Rejection of dental implant foundations only occurs a handful of times per year in the US, and is almost always the result of poor training in implant dentistry.
- You can have all of your teeth implanted – TRUE With some treatments, it is possible to restore all teeth. In some cases, it may be necessary to do a bone graft or remove a tooth that makes the treatment difficult.
- All dentists can are qualified to give dental implants- FALSE The placement of dental implants is a treatment of a certain complexity. It’s vital that if you receive dental implants, the dental professional providing the service should always have extensive experience and academic qualifications specifically in implant dentistry.
- Implants don’t look like natural teeth – FALSE The best benefit of dental implants is their resemblance to real teeth. Nobody will be able to tell you have implants since the crown or artificial tooth is colored to match your natural teeth.
- Dental implants are always very expensive – FALSE Dental Services in Brooklyn are affordably priced compared to other locations, and many offices offer special payment terms that allow you to afford your service!
In a treatment as important as dental implants, experience should be one of the largest factors in picking a dentist to perform your treatment. Even if your doctor has extensive experience in various areas of dentistry, the field of implantology requires many years of practice and perfection before a dentist can provide constantly great results for patients. Before choosing your dentist, you should find out how long they have been performing the treatment you’ll be choosing, what their success rate is, and where and with whom they learned their treatment protocols.
Before you let your cosmetic dentist provide you with any treatment, it’s advisable to ask for pictures and references to patients who have had the same procedure done by the same dentist. It’s possible to replace only one lost tooth, or in an extreme situation to place two or more implants that will give you total stability to the prosthesis.
Visit one of the Dental Services clinics in Brooklyn today to schedule your appointment!