How To Spot And Treat Gum Disease
Periodontal disease (commonly called simply gum disease) is perhaps the most common oral disease. When proper oral health isn’t maintained, bacteria in the mouth can wreak havoc on your smile, resulting in gum disease. However, with gum disease being so common, there is now a record amount of data regarding how to prevent and treat it. Today, the team at Advanced Dental Care is going to break down how to spot gum disease, and how you can treat it with the hep of your dentist in Brooklyn!
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Bleeding gums – Gums should never bleed, even when you brush vigorously or use dental floss.
- Loose teeth – Also caused by bone loss or weakened periodontal fibers (fibers that support the tooth to the bone).
- New spacing between teeth – Caused by bone loss.
- Persistent bad breath – Caused by bacteria in the mouth.
- Pus around the teeth and gums – Sign that there is an infection present.
- Receding gums – Loss of gum around a tooth.
- Red and puffy gums – Gums should never be red or swollen.
- Tenderness or Discomfort – Plaque, calculus, and bacteria irritate the gums and teeth.
How To Treat
The good news regarding gum disease is that the bulk of its treatment is up to the patient – simply stay on an effective oral health routine! Be sure to brush twice daily with proper form (45 degree angle) and floss every day. Learn more about gum disease here, or call into our office at (718) 624-1970 to speak with our team of experts!